Sunday 18 January 2015

New year, new projects

After running the Invisible Paris blog for over six years, 2015 will mark an important turning point, both for me and for the blog. I have a new – and incredibly time-consuming – project to work on this year, which I hope I will be able to share with you before 2016 begins.
 
At the end of 2014 I signed a contract with a publisher to write a book on Paris. It is not a paper version of Invisible Paris, but I hope I will be able to incorporate a little of the blog’s spirit and vision of the city. Instead, the book will feature a full (although necessarily incomplete) history of Paris, along with several essays on today’s city - and lots of illustrations and photos!

I’m very proud to have been commissioned for this project, and very excited about the research and writing (and photography) I will be doing throughout the year. However, it will also mean that the time I consecrate on this blog – which was already becoming more and more difficult to find – will get smaller still.
 

I certainly do not want to stop the blog though or put it into a deep sleep. I already have a proposition from a guest writer who would like to be published on the blog, and I would be very happy to feature other guest contributions in this way. Invisible Paris is my vision of the city, but I would be delighted to expand the concept to incorporate other people’s viewpoints.
 

I will also – when possible – publish shorter posts, hopefully replying to your ‘challenges’. I will also give updates on the book project, sharing any interesting things I’ve learned or discovered, and possibly giving a preview of what you may read when the book itself is published!
 

Thanks to everyone for supporting this blog over the years, and for encouraging me to continue. This blog was the primary reason for the commission, and I hope it can continue long into the future, incorporating many other interesting projects!
 

All the best for 2015.
 

Photos: as part of this project, I may be in the position to commission photos. If anyone thinks they can help with Paris imagery, please let me know!

15 comments:

e said...

Best of luck in this new project and thanks for your wonderful blog.

Anne said...

Congrats on your book contract -- well deserved -- although selfishly I still want to know about my aviators on boulevard Delessert…..

Adam said...

Thanks Anne. Once I'm a published writer, I think it will be much easier to get this kind of information. I've got a long list of currently closed doors I'd like to get through!

Philippa said...

Warmest congratulations! Given your unique viewpoint, the book should be a special contribution to the literature on Paris.

Terry said...

How exciting! I can't wait to read it - I LOVE reading about Paris, especially her history. Tell your publisher you've got one sale already (yes, I know - no doubt MANY more than one)! Best of luck to you!

There are so many Paris-lovers around the world, I should think you could fill every day with a guest writer. I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle the blog.

Thérèse said...

Very exciting for you and for us of course on the long run.
Have fun with this project.

Unknown said...

Can't wait to read your book. A well deserved opportunity.
Congradulations and thanks for all the blogs:)

Bob said...

Terrific news. We were in Paris for seven weeks this fall and a friend gave us the great book by two Canadians, "Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong." It is incredibly accurate in our judgment and insightful. Probably you already know it. If not, a must. Look forward to your book and all that comes forth before it comes out.

Dom Ciancibelli said...

All the best to you Adam. Good luck with the project and be sure to let us know when and where the book will be available to purchase. I'm sure it will be a treasure.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Adam - as everyone has said, it's well deserved. I'm sure you feel rather daunted as well as excited. Looking forward to your singular take on the city - your blog has always been a highlight for those who want more than a standard history of the place, with an eye to the obscure. Write away!

Anthony Thompson said...

Congrats! I'm eagerly looking forward to your book as well as any further updates to this, one of my very favorite blogs!

Adam said...

Thanks for all the messages of support and encouragement. Blogging can sometimes be a lonely business, and it is always nice to know that what I produce is appreciated - and that there might be an audience for the book when it is published!

Yes, the project is a little daunting at the moment, and I do feel as if I am at the bottom of the mountain. Fortunately though I can see exactly the route I need to take, and it is simply a case of finding the time - which is not always easy with a full-time job and a couple of young children!

Kiki said...

Just back from abroad and reading about your exciting project. Congrats dear Adam and all the best for you and your plans.
I have some Paris photos on Flickr under my name
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vol-au-vent/
and as I state in my profile, you can ask for permits and in your case I wouldn't hesitate a second to allow you use of my pixies.
Good luck and thanks for your always fascinating and well written posts. Kiki

Unknown said...

Felicitations Adam, that is such a fabulous project. I look forward to reading it.
Gai
www.postcardsfromfrance.com

Anonymous said...

Coming rather late to the party, I'm delighted to hear about the commission Adam and wish you all good luck and patience. Having a book published is a wonderful (and sometimes frustrating) experience!

If I have any photos that might be of use, on my blog or in my archives, do just shout - very happy to offer them up at no charge. Jill

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Instagram Write Bookmark this page More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Premium Wordpress Themes